The news site of Pope John Paul II High School.

The Herald on the Hill

The Decline of College Basketball

Holden Carter, Writer

College Basketball wrapped up its season with North Carolina defeating Gonzaga to win the national championship. This March featured a lot of quality matchups as 68 teams looked to be crowned the NCAA champion. This all led up to the championship between the Bulldogs and Tarheels. Some might have been excited by the close game between two number one seeds, but I am not one of those people.

College basketball has seen a decline in quality for decades. No, I’m not saying I don’t enjoy the sport, but I can very clearly see that the sport’s glory days are behind us. The games themselves are great, but the sport lacks context and implications.

First off, “one and done” players are killing the sport. To me, college basketball’s glory days were in the 80s when you had players like Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, and Ralph Sampson on the court. Before the NBA eligibility rules changed, which gives basketball players the option to go pro right out of high school. We never got to see Lebron James or Kobe Bryant suit for a college squad, and that’s really disappointing in itself. There are no big name players. Yes, there are quality players, but they don’t even come close to that of the past.

Some changes, however, may just have to do with the evolution of the game and the understanding of it. A scoring drop has been documented throughout the years as defenses have gotten tougher. It also has to do with the officiating in games. There doesn’t seem to be a fine line between too many calls and not enough. ESPN called the National Championship game “forgettable” for a reason. There were 44 foul calls and 52 free throws between the two teams. The team offenses did not seem to have any kind of consistent rhythm as turnovers plagued both squads.

The action itself was lackluster to say the least. 63,000 in Arizona watched as both teams missed easy shots and overzealous referees blew their whistle. College basketball catches a lot of flak from NBA fans who say their leagues play is better. While that is up to debate, the championship game did not help the side who prefer college basketball.