Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Garrett Bennett, Writer

We all know that freshman year is extremely chaotic. You have to go to a new school and meet people that you’ve never seen before in your life. On top of that, you also have to find where your classes are and get used to the schedule. This school itself is extremely hectic, and fitting into the flow takes some time getting used to. To easily survive freshman year, here are 10 easy tips that will make you ruler of the bottom rung.

Tip 1: Keep it orderly   

The halls are crowded no matter what the time of day it is. Make sure that you keep close to the walls, especially during the morning. This will allow for hallway flow to remain orderly.

Tip 2: Don’t eat during the first half of lunch  

During freshman year, you eat lunch last more often than not. These lines are also extremely chaotic. Why stand in line for 30 minutes just to eat last? Just go do homework or attend a tutorial. This allows you to catch up on schoolwork and avoid the chaos of the line as a result. Senior Nick Zanger commented that his freshman lunch line experience was “ barbaric at best. Going during the second half of lunch brought out the civility in me.”

Tip 3: Bring your own laptop cart to class  

Classes always seem to need a laptop to do work in class, but often the freshman classes don’t get priority of the cart. To ensure your chances at having the technology needed, make sure you bring the entire cart. 23 laptops always beat out just one.

Tip 4: Always sprint to class

The hallways are crowded, and there is only 5 minutes to get to class. To make it to class on time, you must sprint to make it. Just remember, you can never be too early.

Tip 5: Sleep at school  

Like I said, you can never be too early. If you’re late at the beginning of school, you get issued a lunch detention. To avoid this possibility, sleep at school. You will always be on time, and since the cleaning staff locks the school at night, you will be safe.  

Tip 6: Stay in groups

It’s scary to be at the bottom of the school. Find strength in numbers. You will be hunted, so make sure you are never caught alone. Get a group of friends, and stay with them constantly.

Tip 7: Build a fort

Personal space is important, but the lockers are way too close together. In order to maintain personal space, build a fort around your locker, and arm it with defenses. This way, no one will crowd you when you get into your locker, and if they do, you have the means to defend yourself.

Tip 8: Always wear a showercap to school

Swirlies are still a thing. Be prepared.

Tip 9: Always have a body double ready

When asked about this tip’s usefulness, Senior Kyle Anthony answered, “Why are you talking to me? I’m Kyle’s body double.”

Tip 10: Turn in assignments late

Teachers say you can only get a maximum of 70 percent when you turn in an assignment late. What they don’t tell you is that a maximum of 70 percent is added on to your original grade. To get these crucial points, always turn in your assignment late.   

I hope these tips allow you to navigate freshman year with ultimate ease. Always keep them in mind while attending JPII.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Survival Guide for Freshman Year”

1. molly agnew on October 7th, 2017 9:52 am

Since I am a freshman these tips are pretty accurate, sure there are so funny ones, but there are also true ones like sprinting to class, I have learned to just slide between huge seniors but I really just let them go first.

[Reply]

2. Eli on October 10th, 2017 6:57 pm

Haaaa!! These things are so very true hilarious even. But the last one is confusing when you don’t turn in you assignment you have a zero. By turning it in late you have a max of 70% of you grade added to your original grade which is zero please explain. To deal with the large quantity of people in front of locker just talk to Mr Crowley. “ all that must be done to get rid of these freshmen is to get the football players with a plow to get them away from my door”- Mr. Crowley

[Reply]

3. Emily Gibbons on October 10th, 2017 10:05 pm

This article is really great because so for new Freshmen students so they know how the school works and how these tips help them. Another greta tip is to go the second half of lunch. Finally. turn your assignments in on time.

[Reply]

4. Briana Wade on October 16th, 2017 7:37 am

Some of these tips were very helpful and I just might try out all of them.

[Reply]

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

How to Handle Senior Year Stress

• Advice

Advice: Christmas Shopping

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

90s Mazda Miata: A Perfect Car for New Drivers

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

Traffic Tickets: I Survived

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

Dear High School Students: What are you Doing with your Summer Free Time?

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

Tips for Upcoming Exams

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

Infographic: Perks of Having a Pen Pal

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

Tips to have the Perfect Prom Dress

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

Inspirational Instagram

• Survival Guide for Freshman Year

Advice

The Best Black Friday Tips