A Frightful Debate: Is ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ A Halloween or Christmas Movie

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tessa Herzer, Writer

With Halloween just around the corner, people gather together and watch their favorite Halloween or horror movies.  A movie commonly watched around this time is “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” However, the question arises, is “The Nightmare Before Christmas” a Halloween or Christmas movie? Some people claim it is more of a Christmas movie because it is focused on trying to improve Christmas, and some say it is more of a Halloween movie because Halloween is taking over Christmas.  To help determine a clear answer, we asked some students around the campus what their opinions on it were.

One student we talked to was Virginia Sullivant, a junior here at Pope John Paul II High School, and her opinion on the topic was, “ Halloween all the way.” Many others we talked to agreed with Virginia, and Pope John Paul II High School alumni, Gregory Herzer commented, “It’s definitely a Halloween movie. Besides, Christmas has too many movies already.”

One person who thought it was a Christmas movie was Miss Fisher, a student teacher assisting Mrs. Smith, who proclaimed,  “The whole movie revolves around Christmas, so it is more of a Christmas movie, even though it deals with Halloween characters.”

Some people we talked to, like juniors Michael Odom and Kensington Bishir, didn’t care about what season it is for because they commented, “It doesn’t really matter when you watch it because it’s such a great movie for anytime of the year.”

Overall, we discovered that people think “The Nightmare before Christmas” is more of a Halloween movie or a film for anytime rather than a Christmas movie. We did have one vote for Christmas though. If you think it is more of a Christmas movie, sorry we didn’t get a vote from you. If you have never watched the movie, it is really great, as stated above in our article, so go watch it on Netflix right now and let us know what your opinion on it was.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “A Frightful Debate: Is ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ A Halloween or Christmas Movie”

1. Kathleen on October 15th, 2017 11:36 pm

I would have have to agree with the majority. I think that “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is more of a Halloween movie then Christmas movie so to say. The movie I feel really revolves around Halloween more than Christmas. Even with the small scene of Christmas is does show. Halloween is still dominated when it comes to comparison.

2. Briana Wade on October 16th, 2017 7:45 am

I think that it’s more of a Halloween movie because it’s more of Christmas being taken over by Halloween characters and I remember when I watched it this one time I was scared to death that I had nightmares about it so I’m my opinion it’s a Halloween movie.

• A Frightful Debate: Is ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ A Halloween or Christmas Movie

Knight Life

Lady Gaga ‘Enigma’ Show Review

Knight Life

Knights VG: ‘FTL: Faster Than Light’ Review

Knight Life

Coldplay ‘A Head Full of Dreams’ Tour Review

Knight Life

‘Black Mirror: Bandersnatch’ Offers A New Way To Watch Movies

Knight Life

‘Creed II’ Movie Review

Knight Life

Multi-Genre Music Roundup

Knight Life

‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ Movie Review

Knight Life

‘Family Matters’ Christmas Special Review

Knight Life

‘The Grinch’ Movie Review

Knight Life

‘Home Alone’ Movie Review