‘QB1’ Season 1 Review

Ben Nixon, Writer

QB1 is a series on Netflix about quarterbacks during their senior season of high school. In season one, there are three quarterbacks who try to take their team to the state championship. The quarterbacks’ names are Tate Martell, Jake Fromm, and Tayvon Bowers. Season one takes place during the year 2016.

Tate Martell is the quarterback for Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, Nevada. He is 5’11 and weighs 210 lbs. He is one of my favorite quarterbacks, because he brings so much to the table even with him being considered a smaller guy. Throughout the series, the cameras follow Tate around, filming his interactions with his family and his friends. During the series, you can tell that he is very self-centered, but also ambitious. He has a swagger behind himself, and he won’t let anyone tell him that he is not a good quarterback. Even though he is shorter than most quarterbacks, he is able to do a lot. He has a phenomenal arm when it comes to throwing, but his best attribute is escaping the pocket, running down field, and making plays on his feet. Tate is now playing at the University of Ohio State, and he is competing for a starting job.  

The next quarterback in the series is Jake Fromm from Warner Robins, Georgia.  Jake attends Houston County High school during this series. Jake is 6’2 and 220 lbs. Like Tate, Jake brings a lot to the table. He is the average size of a quarterback, but he plays like an elite style quarterback. He is more like a pocket passer, but when he needs to run, he will. Jake also knows the game of football very well, so this gives him an advantage over all the other quarterbacks in his class. When Jake is around his friends and family, he is a very competitive guy. He loves to win, and he tries his best to accomplish that. Jake is also a great leader on and off the field. He doesn’t get in any trouble, and he has good grades. He has two younger brothers who play with him and also have vital roles on the team. One of them is a wide receiver for Jake, and the other is the backup QB.  Jake is now at the University of Georgia and is the starting QB for the Bulldogs. He took them to the National Championship as a true freshman and looks forward to doing it again this season.

The final quarterback in the series is Tayvon Bowers. Tayvon is from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and he attends Bishop Mcdevitt High School. Tayvon is an average size quarterback at 6’1, 201 lbs. He has been through so much in his short life. He lost his father at a young age. Tayvon also transferred high schools before his senior season. He left all of his friends and went to Bishop McDevitt High School to became the starting QB. Tayvon’s mother moved him to Bishop McDevitt because she wanted him to get a better education and make new friends. Tayvon plays on a below average team, but he makes the most out of his opportunities and tries to have a good season. He is a dual-threat quarterback with a good arm and good legs. At the beginning of his senior season, his team was not having success, but throughout the season they go better and better. Tayvon is now at the University of Wake Forest, and he is competing for the starting job of the Demon Deacons.

In my opinion, this series is really good because it goes through each of the quarterbacks’ senior seasons before they head off to college. The filmmakers did a fantastic job by going back and forth with each player and not giving one of them more screen time than the other. They also have it planned out very well by attending most of their games and capturing good highlights of them on and off the field.

I personally recommend watching this series if you are into sports or documentaries. This series gives you both action and some of the home-life activities of a starting quarterback in high school.