The news site of Pope John Paul II High School.

The Herald on the Hill

But Our Flag Was Still There… Or Was It?

Ethan Ingram, Editor

Among the defining traits America has exhibited in 231 years of existence is national pride that “We the people” possess, whether it be solemnity on Memorial Day, or wild partying that Fourth of July brings about. However, it isn’t holidays that instill love of our country into us, but smaller, seemingly minute actions that we accomplish throughout our daily lives.

Of course, the patriotic act that we as students complete on a daily basis is the recital of The Pledge of Allegiance to our nation, commonly represented by our national symbol, The American Flag. However, at Pope John Paul II this miniscule dosage of patriotism is hardly implemented into our curriculum, with the Pledge occurring during assemblies that happen infrequently throughout the year. I remember my time in Middle School where days started off the same: the bell rang followed by prayer and the pledge, and wish we at Pope John Paul II would do the same. It’s especially important in these troubled times that we as Americans contemplate the symbol of our triumphs, failures, and overall amazing place that our country has become. On top of that, in an age of advocating for Globalization by “mainstream” thought, a nation’s identity should be extremely important to its inhabitants. In the case of the United States, if we were ever to “achieve” the mindset of some nations in Europe by completely discouraging open love for our nation, no matter how small the display, we would be dishonoring the memories of  our forefathers and all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to ensure that we can enjoy the freedoms our Constitution promises to us. I personally don’t care what side of the fence people align themselves with, for everyone has their personal beliefs concerning issues of all matters. However, as Americans we should be able to unite under our flag and celebrate this country, for no matter how many faults it possesses, we owe it a lot for what it has provided us.

When asking fellow students and teachers about the matter, responses were generally positive or indifferent. According to Mike McLaren, Dean of Students, “The addition of an American Flag into daily curriculum has never been a new concept, for there was a time we would say the pledge after prayer during daily assembly. However, since our school has done away with daily assembly and has them periodically, we don’t get to say the pledge as often as we did.” As for students like senior Garrett Bennett, the prospect of a daily pledge and American Flags in every classroom is a good one because based on his observations, “It wouldn’t hinder schooldays since it would probably be recited alongside the morning prayer.” Overall, I implore everyone to appeal to either school leadership or Mr. Deely to get these requests authorized as I believe they would benefit us when we become full members of society. After all, as country music singer Johnny Cash once said, “I’m mighty proud of this ragged old flag.”

5 Comments

5 Responses to “But Our Flag Was Still There… Or Was It?”

1. Lexi Lang on October 8th, 2017 7:57 pm

I believe that all students should start every school day off with saying the pledge. The pledge is a daily reminder of our freedom in America, so therefore everyday should begin with reciting it.

[Reply]

2. Eli Lockert on October 10th, 2017 7:05 pm

This article shows a small part of the the beginning of the down hill slide of our country from its great point. Adding the pledge of allegiance with daily prayer in the morning would increase pride in this still great country now and forevermore.

[Reply]

3. Emily Gibbons on October 15th, 2017 12:52 pm

As a child of a fallen solider,I see the flag that as a symbol of pride and sacrifice. After when my dad died, he body was brought home with the American flag on top of his coffin. As an American I feel embarrassed that our school doesn’t say The Pledge of Allegiance.

[Reply]

4. Levi Waites on October 15th, 2017 4:03 pm

I agree that every morning we should say the pledge of allegiance because we should be proud of the country we’ll live in.

[Reply]

5. Briana Wade on October 16th, 2017 7:41 am

I think that saying the pledge is a great way to honor our country but I don’t think we should have to say it every morning.

[Reply]

• But Our Flag Was Still There… Or Was It?

Satire

School To Provide Rolly Chairs for All Students

Knight Watch

JPII Faculty Focus: Mrs. Smith (video)

Knight Life

Patrice Wilson’s Wild Ride: A Top 5

Knight Life

Annabelle’s Alley: Marteen Spices Up the Music Scene

On the Hill

Faculty Focus: Mr. Mauthe

Sports

Experiencing the Alabama-Tennessee Rivalry

On the Hill

Fresh Faces: Ryder Smith

Top Stories

Picture of the Week: Fall House Games 2017

Knight Life

Rock Icon, Tom Petty, Dead at 66

Top Stories

Happy Spooktober…