Knights Volleyball Preview

Chase Petty, Writer

The JPII volleyball team had a record of 15-27 last year and hopes to improve this season, even after losing a division 1 athlete. They seem to be on a good start this season, currently standing with a 3-2 record and holding good competition with Ensworth High School, who is in the Lady Knights’ region and boasts several division 1 athletes. This is something that has not happened in a while for the volleyball team. The team also finds a future star in freshman Callie Goodwin. Callie excelled in middle school volleyball and club setting. Senior team captain Celeste Williams, who was elected by her teammates at the beginning of the season, has a great outlook on team energy and bond this season as opposed to last season. She feels that her leadership skills and talent level will heavily impact the team in a positive way on and off the court.

Herald: What makes the team better having you as captain as opposed to last year?

Celeste: I feel like all the other captains and I together bring a lot more positivity and encouragement to the team as compared to last year. We are also a lot more welcoming to everyone on the team as compared to the last years.

Herald: What is different about this year as opposed to previous seasons regarding team chemistry?

Celeste: The team is a lot more bonded this year, and I feel like we all know that we have to work together to get wins and that we have to continually build each other up.

This year the Lady Knights have a better outlook than ever before on the season, including region play. The team struggled with region play in the past, as most of their losses came from teams within the region. They have a poised leader that has helped the team develop a closer bond with one another, a bond much closer than past years. Their schedule can be found on the JPII website under athletics. Come out, support, and help cheer on the Lady Knights volleyball team this season!