Pros and Cons of iPads at JPII

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pros and Cons of iPads at JPII

Ethan McLaughlin, Writer

This year at Pope, they introduced iPads to all teachers, freshmen, sophomores, and juniors. Seniors do not use iPads because it is a two-year lease, so they will graduate before the lease is up. The students use iPads everyday and have moved away from paper and pencil, though most tests are still on paper for now. The school eventually will get everything on the iPad, including tests, but for now they just have an app for taking notes.

Students and teachers have mixed feelings about the iPads. Mr. Mauthe, 10th grade Honors English teacher, is new to the iPads this year. Mr. Mauthe does like the iPads, commenting, “I think they allow us to do some really cool things, not having to rely on computers.”

Mr. Mauthe explains that iPads are better because it makes it easier on him to read students’ work without having to worry about bad handwriting. Also, he claims that it makes it easier for students to edit work compared to using paper and pencil.

Mr. Mauthe also says that it is easier for him to write notes on students’ essays and return work or essays to students digitally. Mr. Mauthe stated that, as a result of keeping all his work on the iPad, he has about three pieces of paper on his desk all year, which is great for him because he won’t lose anything.

Some teachers still give their tests on paper because they are so used to it and aren’t ready to change that yet. However, Mr. Mauthe is an English teacher, and most of his tests are writing based, so the students can just type it on Google Docs and edit it right there.

Pius Onaghinor, a sophomore here at JPII, is also new to the iPads this year. He likes his iPad and says, “They are nice to keep your homework and notes in, but sometimes it’s hard to find things that you need.”

Pius was asked if he would rather use his own electronic device to complete his school work. He says, “I would rather have paper than another electronic device.” Pius loves his iPad and would love to keep his iPad when he graduates his senior year. He would use his iPad for schoolwork and as an electronic device since he doesn’t have one besides his iPhone.

Zac Combs, a sophomore as well, says, “The battery life does not last long enough. Also, the teachers will not tell you that there was homework and post it without students’ knowledge. I personally do not like them at all. I believe this was not a great idea by the school.” He does not like having the iPad because of technical difficulties and the struggles of missing homework notifications. 

Zac also says, “If they wanted tech then use a MacBook. Battery is better, and they have more things to use. Also, use paper and pencil for some things. I would rather use my MacBook and pencil and paper.” He would rather have these things instead of the iPad because it is more straight forward and easier to use. 

Keaton Barrett, current senior, says, “I like using paper and pencil because I am still able to have my phone at school and am able to be on it during the school day.” However, he would like to have the iPads because he thinks it would be easier to get work done on them.

We interviewed a teacher two sophomores, who are familiar with the iPads, and a senior, who does not have an iPad and is just able to have his phones or use another personal device. There were mixed reviews about the iPads, but mostly everyone likes using the iPads rather than paper and pencil.

However, there are some downsides to the iPads. The battery life does not last as long as some people need it too, and teachers communicating homework assignments to students has become a struggle. Other than that, everything else with the iPads seems to be okay, and students seem to like them.