The news site of Pope John Paul II High School.

The Herald on the Hill

The Road to Pyeongchang: US National Team Claims Fourth Consecutive IIHF Title

Oliver Antone, Writer

Detroit Michigan, Hockeytown USA. Miles outside of America’s hockey city Hilary Knight had the game on her stick. The Queen of Clutch, seeking redemption from the 2014 Sochi Olympics had her chance. Over nine minutes remained in overtime, Decker’s shot bounced off the iron, Coyne’s bounced off the pads, Knight on the breakaway. “USA, USA, USA,” the crowd passionately chanted as Knight and Coyne raced up the ice. Coyne passed, Knight fired, redemption on home ice.

The 2017 IIHF Women’s World Championship kicked off for Team USA versus their rivals from Canada. A game that almost never happened due to discussions between players and the Team USA organization, one day before the tournament an agreement was made. Young Nicole Hensley shut out the Canadians in the opening round, then proceeded to snag two more shutouts against Russia and Germany. A shaky victory over Finland would give Team USA a bye round to the semifinals where they would conquer Germany 11-0.

Friday, April 7, 2017. A rivalry renewed, Team USA vs the country that founded the sport they played. The puck dropped in the suburbs of Detroit at USA Hockey Arena. Kacey Bellamy helped Team USA get on the board early with a slapshot near the blue line, Canada retaliated within a few minutes. A silent second period, only a goalie can be happy with a period like that. In the third a wrist shot from Kacey Bellamy brought Team USA back into the lead, only for Canada to tie it right back up. 2-2.

Overtime, silence as both sides took to the ice. Different from NHL and NWHL rules, the IIHF declares extra-play be marked by one 20 minute overtime. If no team scores following those 20 minutes a shootout is initiated. 10 minutes of silence passed. With 12 minutes remaining, Team USA went on a powerful run with no luck firing seven shots in 35 seconds. A shot every five seconds. Coyne, Bellamy, Knight, Duggan, and Decker all put forth their best effort. 2016 overtime savior Alex Carpenter got the best look before the puck got frozen when Canada’s goalie’s helmet came loose.

When play resumed in Michigan Team USA picked up where it left off. Coyner, under pressure, passed to NWHL All-Star Hilary Knight who turned, fired, and scored. Team USA claimed its fourth gold medal in a row, and it’s first on home ice. In 2012 Canada defeated the USA in the States in overtime. This time it was Team USA’s turn. NWHL MVP Brianna Decker won Best Forward in the tournament and the IIHF Cup remains Stateside.

The IIHF Championship was the last international tournament before the Pyeongchang Olympics in 2018, making it the final look at all the teams that will be going for gold next year. However, the Four Nations Cup will provide one more chance for these two rivals to face off before the Games. Until then, international hockey glory remains in the US and they hope to keep it that way in Pyeongchang.