Match day with the Nashville Spurs

Holden Carter, Sports Editor

I awoke to my dad turning on the lights, I then immediately turned to my alarm clock. The clock read 6:30, “match day,” I said to myself as I rolled out of bed. It was Sunday, but I could sleep later.

Recently, I joined a Nashville based organization dedicated to the English Premier League Football club, the Tottenham Hotspur. They call themselves the Nashville Spurs. They meet every match day at Belcourt Taps. Obviously a game played during midday in England will be played early in the morning in the United States, which explains my early rise that Sunday morning.

The game would kick off at 7:30 AM our time. My dad and I left our house and headed towards the pub. We arrived at Belcourt Taps, immediately noticing the Hotspur flags and banners outside the building, “I think we are at the right place,” I thought. We walked into a large gathering of people dressed in Tottenham Hotspur garb, many of which were glued to the action on the TV screens. It was early but that didn’t stop the rowdy fans from enjoying their beers and other alcoholic beverages. My dad enjoyed a couple drinks as well.

The fans yelled and hollered at the sight of near goals and blatant penalties, similar behavior to that of American Football fans. The first half ended in a 0-0 tie, to the disappointment of the Tottenham faithful. The second began and the Tottenham offense started getting more and more scoring opportunities. The bar was loud now as Newcastle, Tottenham’s opponent, couldn’t seem to slow down the Hotspur offensive threat. GOAL! Finally, the ball made its way into the goal and the room erupted. I was surrounded by cheering fans greeted with celebratory high fives. The crowd began to chant and yell for their beloved Hotspur football club had the lead. Tottenham would go onto win the game 2-0.

That first match day with the Nashville Spurs will be one I will never forget. Everyone was incredibly friendly and welcoming. I’m more than happy to be apart of the Nashville Spurs family. There are other Nashville based football fan clubs if you’re interested in joining. If you choose the Spurs, I’ll see you on match day at Belcourt Taps. Come on you Spurs! (COYS).

Here’s a video the Nashville Spurs made last year after their game against the hated club Arsenal: