2017 Houston Astros Win Franchise’s First World Series In Wake of Natural Disaster

Holden Carter, Writer

The Houston Astros are 2017 World Series Champions after defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers in seven games. It was Houston’s first World Series title since becoming a franchise in 1962, or 56 years ago. The Astros and Dodgers both had a phenomenal regular season, both reaching over 100 wins. This was the first time since 1970 that both World Series opponents reached the 100 win mark.

Both teams hit a combined 25 home runs through the seven game series, a World Series record. The high number of long balls shrouds the immense talent of both teams pitching staffs. Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers set a franchise record for strikeouts in the postseason. Since being traded to the Astros in late August, Justin Verlander has posted a 9-0 win-loss record and an impressive 1.23 earned run average

This was an exciting series that included two games that were decided in extra innings, game 2 and 5. The games were high scoring as well, notably game 5 which was a 13-12 contest in favor of Houston. Power hitting proved important as Houston’s George Springer, who hit five homers, was named World Series MVP. Weirdly enough, in 2014 Sports Illustrated posted an article with Springer in an Astros uniform on the cover and a title that read, “Your 2017 World Series Champions.” At the time of the article’s publication, the Astros were near the bottom of the league, losing over 100 games three years in a row.

This World Series victory is especially important for the city of Houston who are still recovering from Hurricane Harvery, that took the lives of an estimated 88 people and destroyed almost 200,000 homes. Each Houston Astros player wore a patch that depicted their H logo and the word “strong” on their jersey in support of their hometown city.

This was an exciting Major League Baseball season capped off with an exciting World Series that went the distance. Only 103 more days till Spring Training!