Injury Bug Begins to Plague NBA

Nicholas Zanger, Writer

With the National Basketball Association (NBA) in the dog days of the season, we were bound to see a few injuries. However, at the moment it seems like a domino effect of  “All-Stars” who just keep going down. The first player to go down was New Orleans center, Demarcus Cousins. Cousins was averaging 25 points and 12 rebounds per game, and recorded a 40 point, 20 rebound, and 10 assist game against the struggling Chicago Bulls. Cousins was an “All-Star” starter, but will now be replaced by Oklahoma City’s Paul George.

Cousins’ injury led to two more “All-Stars” going down with injuries. The Cleveland Cavaliers “All-Star” power forward is out for eight weeks with a broken hand. This injury is interesting on a few levels because he has been predominantly blamed for the Cav’s struggles this season. If these reports are true about the team, the Cavs should turn things around. They haven’t so far. He will be replaced by the Miami Heat point guard Goran Dragic. John Wall is the last All-Star to fall so far. Wall is out two months with a knee injury that has plagued him for two years. He has been the spark for the Wizards this year, and he is averaging 20 points and 10 assists, which is about his career averages. The Wizards are not a very deep team, but they will have to find a way to win with Bradley Beal stepping into the star role while Wall is injured. Wall will be replaced by Andre Drummond.

If you think that these injuries aren’t a coincidence then you are wrong. Take the NFL this year for an example, one star player would fall and the next thing you know it seems like half the league is out with injury. With injuries, we see trades. The Pelicans will try to move on without Cousins for the rest of the year after trading for Nikola Mirotic, who has really come on as a rising star this year. Mirotic is averaging career highs in points and rebounds and will likely be given the second scorer role in New Orleans behind Anthony Davis. There have even been reports about the Cavs clearing house and trying to build a future without LeBron. There is a scenario that if the Warriors trade Klay Thompson and Andre Iguodala, that they could sign LeBron to a max deal, which in theory would make the Warriors completely unstoppable.

If something doesn’t change, we could see a finals without LeBron James for the first time in nine seasons. The Warrior’s road to the finals is more difficult than it was been before with the super teams of the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Houston Rockets. It will be interesting to see how the season pans out. My money is still on a Warriors vs. Celtics matchup in the finals, and Kyrie Irving trying to prove his legacy at 24 years of age. I guess we will have to stay tuned and find out.