Eagles Win Super Bowl 52, Foles Named MVP

Holden Carter, Writer

Philadelphia Eagles fans have waited long to hear it, but now they can finally say “Our team is the Super Bowl Champions.” Led by a group of players who embrace the title of underdogs, the Eagles conquered the leagues to capture the coveted Lombardi Trophy.

This year’s annual installment of the National Football League Championship, Super Bowl 52, was of the most exciting games in recent memory. The matchup pitted two teams who are almost complete opposites from another as far as historic success. The New England Patriots led by quarterback Tom Brady have dominated the NFL since 2002, winning a total of five Super Bowls. The Eagles had yet to win a Super Bowl in its history prior to Sunday’s game, their last Championship appearance being in 2004.

Nick Foles was named Super Bowl MVP after throwing for 374 yards and four touchdowns, including a receiving touchdown on a trick play. Foles replaced Carson Wentz after he was sidelined with a torn ACL in week 14. Wentz was prolific with the Eagles and after he was injured, and many doubted the team’s ability to beat anyone let alone win the Super Bowl.

Many believed the Eagles’ defense and the pressure they put on Brady would be the way they could win, but in fact it was their offense. The game was a high scoring affair with only one punt between the two teams, punted by the Patriots. The two teams combined with of total of 74 points in a 41-33 Eagles win. A fumble by Tom Brady was recovered by former Brentwood Academy and Tennessee Volunteers defensive standout Derek Barnett.

There’s a lot of speculation regarding whether or not Brady has played his last game in the NFL. Following his teams loss Brady said he expects himself to be back next season, but time will tell whether or not he forgoes another season. Tight-end Rob Gronkowski stated he will be considering retirement during the off season. Gronkowski has received several devastating injuries throught out his career, so his retirement at the age of 28 is very possible. All of these possible retirements beg the question, “is the Patriots’ dynasty over?” Its too early to tell and many asked this question several year ago when the Patriots lost to the Giants.

Congratulations to all Philadelphia sports fans. Remember enjoy it while it lasts you never know if it will happen again anytime soon, also don’t completely destroy your city.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Eagles Win Super Bowl 52, Foles Named MVP”

1. Sawyer Watts on February 13th, 2018 11:28 pm

Even though I wanted the Patriots to win, the Eagles played an outstanding game, especially Nick Foles. He deserves the MVP for sure.

2. Cameron Rouse on February 19th, 2018 9:24 pm

I’m glad the Eagles won the Super Bowl. It is always nice to see a good underdog match.

• Eagles Win Super Bowl 52, Foles Named MVP

Sports

NHL Prospect Rankings

Sports

United States Defeats Mexico In Suspenseful Soccer Game

Knight Life

Nashville Predators 2018-2019 Season Preview

Knight Life

‘Last Chance U’ Season 3 Review

On the Hill

Knight Stars Interview: Emma Grace Baxter

On the Hill

Cross Country Interview: Nick Crump

On the Hill

Knights Girls’ Soccer Team Spotlight

Sports

Freshman Tyler Schrampf Competes in National Baseball Tournament

On the Hill

Knights Volleyball Preview

Sports

SEC Preview