NHL Prospect Rankings

Cody Phillips, Writer

1. Jack Hughes (C) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Brother to Canucks prospect Quinton Hughes, Jack Hughes lands at number 1 because of his play style on the ice. He is a great two-way center who possesses a great shot and has great vision. Whoever ends up taking him should be playing him in his first year.

2. Peyton Krebs (LW) Kootenay Ice (WHL)

Krebs is a complete winger who can also play center. He plays a great two-way game and has the hands to do so. His hockey IQ is also highly touted for his age.

3. Kappo Kakko (RW) TPS (Liiga)

Kakko is a reliable stick handler who uses his size to help him win pucks in dangerous scoring areas. Kakko, as of now, is seen as a sniper, but at some point he could be considered a power forward.

4. Alex Turcotte (C) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

The American is fantastic playmaker and has the ability to change the speed of the game. His father used to play for the Montreal Canadiens, which shows hockey runs in the family.

5. Bowen Byram (D) Vancouver Giants (WHL)

Byram is an excellent mobile two-way defenseman who has great puck handling and foot speed, which makes him a threat on both offense and defense.

6. Arthur Kaliyev (LW) Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)

Kaliyev is a highly skilled power forward who isn’t afraid of throwing his body around. He also possesses one of the better shots in the draft.

7. Kirby Dach (C) Saskatoon Blades (QMJHL)

Dach is a big-bodied playmaking center. He is quite elusive for his size, and he plays a good two-way game. He will drop back for his defensemen to cover for them. He also has confidence in his passes, which leads him to be the kind of playmaker he is.

8. Alex Newhook (F) Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL)

The second Alex within the top ten of the draft is a great passer of the puck. He is fast with and without the puck. His vision and hockey IQ enhance his playing style.

9. Dylan Cozens (C) Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)

Cozens is a high energy power forward who isn’t afraid to throw his body around and always finishes his checks, which can be a poor thing in certain situations. He can run both a penalty kill and powerplay because he is an offensive scoring player that plays great defense.

10. Victor Söderström (D) Brynäs IF J20 (SuperElit)

Söderström is an excellent two-way D-man who believes that defending and coverage are equally as important as rushing and distributing the puck. He is a great one-on-one defender because he keeps a tight gap between him and the other players.

11. Vasili Podkolzin (RW) SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

Vasili has a great motor and mentality. When he isn’t scoring, he gets frustrated and tries as hard as he can to get that goal. He also has phenomenal puck skills and scoring, and his defensive game isn’t bad either.

12. Ryan Suzuki (C) Barrie Colts (OHL)

Suzuki is a good skater and an even better passer. His hockey IQ is great, as he knows his lanes and defensive marking.

13. Maxim Cajkovic (RW/LW) St. John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)

Maxim is neither big nor strong, but he plays a great inside game because of his size. He is able to easily get around defenders with speed and sharp angle changes.

14. Matt Boldy (F) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Boldy has a great finish to his two-way game. He is not just a dangler but more of a grinder, as he gets down in the tough areas to win the puck.

15. Cam York (D) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

York is a smooth skating defenseman who has good vision and puck skills.

16. Blake Murray (C) Sudbury Wolves (OHL)

Murray isn’t the most physical of players, yet he wins one-on-one puck battles. He also has great hands that allow him to dominate in the offensive zone.

17. Daniil Gutik (LW) Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)

Gutik has nice puck control and a great shooting ability. He plays a great playmaking game.

18. Sasha Mutala (RW) Tri-City Americans (WHL)

Mutala is a good playmaking forward with a lot grit when necessary.

19. Michael Vukojevic (D) Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

Vukojevic is the complete package. He has good poise, skating, and has a great hockey sense.

20. Jakob Pelletier (F) Moncton Wildcats (QMJHL)

Jakob has great hands and blazing speed, which he uses to get by defenders on the wing as he blows behind them.

21. Anttoni Honka (D) JYP (Liiga)

Honka, who is the younger brother to Dallas Stars defensive Julius Honka, is a swift skating, puck rushing defenseman who knows how to handle the puck.

22. Raphaël Lavoie (C/RW) Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)

Lavoie can slice through defense with ease; however, he is scared of contact that will hurt him for now. If he becomes more aggressive, he’ll be great.

23. Cole Caufield (C/RW) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Cole is a very small forward who uses his lack of size to his advantage. He can get by defensemen with ease.

24. Valentin Nussbaumer (C/W) Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

Nussbaumer is a hard-working center who plays smart hockey in addition to being a skilled offensive weapon.

25. Artemi Knyazev (D) Chicoutimi Saguenéens (QMJHL)

Artemi is a great offensive D-man who puts up plenty of points.

26. Nolan Foote (LW) Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

Foote is a great power forward and is the brother to Tampa prospect Cal Foote, who puts of the same amount of points as he does hits.

27. Moritz Seider (D) Mannheim (DEL)

Seider is a good physical D-man who plays a great two-way game and puts up good numbers.

28. Mack Guzda (G) Owen Sound (OHL)

Mack has good size and good movement in an excellent hybrid play style.

29. Alex Vlašić (D) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Vlašić, who is related to San Jose defender Marc-Edouard Vlasic, is a big D-man. He is capable of scoring, but he is better off guarding one-on-one.

30. Tag Bertuzzi (C) Guelph Storm (OHL)

Son of Canuck and Detroit legend Todd Bertuzzi, Tag plays a very similar game to his father, playing with a hit first mentality.

31. Philip Tomasino (C) Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)

Tomasino is a good center and a dynamic playmaker. He is a hard worker with good passing.

32. Philip Broberg (D) AIK J20 (SuperElit)

Broberg is a tall, fast defenseman with an explosive first step. His size and speed make it hard to get past him.

33. Matthew Robertson (D) Edmonton Oil Kings (OHL)

Robertson is a solid defenseman, and he excels in every category.

34. Spencer Knight (G) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Knight has all it takes to be a great goalie in the NHL because of his size, athleticism, and fundamentals. If he can have a good year, he’ll be a first round lock and move up this list.

35. Pavel Dorofeyev (LW/RW) Stalnye Lisy Magnitgorsk (MHL)

Pavel is a high scoring winger, and he never backs down from a good scoring chance. He possesses good hands and good passing ability.

36. Samuel Poulin (LW) Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)

Poulin’s father played in the NHL, and Samuel plays a very similar game. He is a heavy hitter with offensive threat.

37. Trevor Zegras (C) U.S. National U18 Team (USDP)

Zegras gets to pucks and makes plays. He’s fast and gets out of the blocks quickly. He also has terrific hands and makes great passes.

38. Nando Eggenberger (RW) Oshawa (OHL)

Nando has a Large frame, making it hard to knock him off the puck. He has incredible release and is a very hard skater.

39. Boston Bilous (G) Edmonton Oil Kings (OHL)

Bilous had a tough time in Edmonton last year, but he will come back from that year and be a good goalie in the NHL.

40. Antti Saarela (C) Lukko Rauma (Liiga)

Brother to Carolina prospect Aleksi Saarela, Antti is a smart and gifted center with very good offensive instincts and quality stick skills