How Did Nick Mullens Make It To Where He Is Today?

Keith Allison

Cody Phillips, Writer

Due to the injuries of Jimmy Garoppolo and C.J. Beathard, Nick Mullens is now the starting quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers. If you’re like me and don’t know every stat, number, and college every player went to, you probably also didn’t know who Nick Mullens is and how he got to where he is today. Mullens was born in the town of Hoover, Alabama, which is just south of Birmingham. He went to Spain Park High School and was the starting quarterback for his team in his senior year. During his senior year he threw for 3,649 yards and 40 touchdowns with only seven interceptions. This stat line allowed him to win the 2012 Gatorade Player of the Year award for the state of Alabama. Then, with a last minute visit, he committed to University of Southern Mississippi.

When he was in college, Southern Miss was off to a bad start of 0-6. Then, the coach decided to put all-true freshman Mullens in at starting quarterback. Mullens lost his first two games as a starter, but he passed for 300+ yards, a feat never accomplished by former alum Brett Favre. Mullens saved Southern Miss from their 24 game losing streak with a five-touchdown performance against the team he formerly committed to before Southern Miss, UAB. Mullens finished his four-year career with most of the school’s passing records, which is impressive considering that Brett Favre held most of them. Nick Mullens then went into the NFL draft where he was undrafted, but then signed later by the San Francisco 49ers for training camp. He entered in as the fourth string, where he was later waived and then signed onto the practice squad, staying there for the year. The next year a similar scenario happened, as he was put on the practice squad yet again. However, when starting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo tore his ACL, Mullens was signed to a contract worth 1.5 million for two years. Then, when new starting quarterback and second year player, C.J. Beathard, hurt his wrist, Mullens was called to be the starter for the 49ers on Thursday night football. Mullens had a great outing in his first game, going 16-22 for 262 yards and three touchdowns in a win against the Oakland Raiders. If you didn’t know who Nick Mullens was, hopefully you do now. He has the potential to be a great and prosperous quarterback in the NFL.