Advice from College Freshmen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Advice from College Freshmen

Devpaul Chani, Writer

As seniors try to avoid succumbing to senioritis in their last months of high school, many look ahead excitedly towards their first days as college students, but there’s more to having a successful college career than showing up at the door.

After having having conversations with several Pope John Paul II alumni, I found these central pieces of advice:

Firstly, focus on your academics. Remember that this is the central reason you are going to college. You are here to prepare yourself for a career or grad school, so you need to be successful in your classes. To ensure this, you should actually attend your classes and do all the work that is assigned to you. Attend every class because you cannot anticipate when the professor will drop knowledge key to the final exam. Keeping up with readings will make sure that you understand what your professor is talking about during his lectures. Along with reading, you should take smart notes. Find a note-taking system that works well for you, and focus on learning rather than simply recording the information.

In terms of health, the way to successfully survive the first year of college is maintaining balance. Whether thinking about sleep or diet, the single most important piece of advice college freshmen have to offer is finding balance. Staying active and keeping your diet balanced by consuming a variety of fruits and vegetables, diverse proteins, and wholesome carbs will not only keep you from putting on the dreaded “freshman fifteen,” but will also increase your energy and boost your mood. In addition to diet, students at college often sacrifice sleep to finish assignments, but ultimately a few extra hours of rest will be more beneficial than working on a paper at three in the morning. Also, stay hydrated! Lots of walking on campus and drinking sodas will not be helpful, so you should always carry around a reusable water bottle for classes.

For some students, the prospect of dorm life seems frightening with the lack of privacy and living with someone who is often a complete stranger. You should really make sure you are open to meeting new people and make sure you are compatible with your roommate if possible. Adjusting to college may seem difficult without parents around to offer advice, so try to be as responsible as possible throughout your first months of college. Make sure you keep at least three weeks of clothes with you and wash your clothes when you have free time. In college, there is a lot more free time, so try to keep your priorities in mind and accomplish your goals.
In conclusion, college is not as threatening as it may first seem, just keep these points in mind and you will be just fine!