Ways to cope with stress and prepare for exams

Katy Beth Boyers, Editor

Ways to cope with stress from examsAs students continue to count down the days of school left, the stress increases. One of the causes of the stress is final exams. There are only three weeks left of school, and while that is very exciting, students are encouraged to finish the year off right, and the best way to do that is to stay focussed and prepare for exams.

Students know how exams are and how stressful it is to prepare and take one. However, it doesn’t have to be stressful if students just focus and prepare ahead of time. According to NBC News, “America’s teens are every bit as stressed as the adults around them – and sometimes even more.”

NBC reported that a recent survey “found that 30 percent of teens reported feeling sad or depressed because of stress, and 31 percent felt overwhelmed. Another 36 percent said that stress makes them tired and 23 percent said they’ve skipped meals because of it.”

This rise of stress is quite alarming, but I wish to help relieve the stress from final exams. While students should focus and be concerned about final exams, it is not healthy for students to be very stressed about exams, especially if you are a freshmen.

According to guidance counselor Ms. Wilson, “A certain amount of stress is healthy, but if your stress level gets too high, that is when it gets to be unhealthy. Everyone copes with stress differently.”

Juniors can also be stressed during exams due to the colleges looking at the students’ last grades before they evaluate them with the college applications.

JPII hopes to help reduce stress this year, adopting Mr. Deely’s “Happy, Healthy, Holy” motto. There are some activities planned to help minimize stress, including bringing dogs to the school for students to pet during exam week.

I recommend that students plan ahead and prepare for exams. I understand that it might be a little early to study for some of them, but if you start now, it will help you not feel as stressed as students who only cram the night before an exam.

Students should also stay healthy. Keep up with sleep, and be sure to eat healthy. Eating healthy can help reduce the chance of getting sick.

While you look at all the ideas of how to reduce your stress and prepare for exams, remember that you should relax and take breaks sometimes. Relax with some calming music or do something else that is fun, like a hobby. If you don’t feel prepared for exams, teachers would love to help you. And remember: stay happy, stay healthy, and study!