The news site of Pope John Paul II High School.

The Herald on the Hill

Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Cade Smith, Editor

Generally, most people’s teenage years are marked by the intoxicating freedom of having a driver’s license. That one piece of plastic represents so much, from growth to new responsibilities. Driving is the largest step into an adulthood lifestyle, helping teens develop into normal functioning citizens.

However, it is a terrible idea to give any 16-year-old that much power. There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that it will be abused, frequently and with little shame. Stop signs can easily be turned into suggestions, and speed limits are simply goals to beat. Eventually though, it will all catch up to you. One day, when you least expect it, those flashing red and blue lights will ruin your day.

In my case, I was on my way to pick up my first paycheck when I was pulled over in Goodlettsville for going 43 in a 30. I threw away half of my newly acquired paycheck for one mistake. At the time though, I was more concerned about the four-hour traffic school I was forced to attend in order to keep my insurance rates down.

In retrospect, despite having to wake up at 6 a.m., traffic school was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, it was a sobering experience. While trying not to fall asleep, I learned that you’re more likely to get in an accident when you’re driving on a road with which you are familiar, or that 75 percent of people who die in automobile accidents are not wearing a seatbelt. Also, being one of the youngest people in a group of 40, it was reassuring to know that traffic tickets happen at every age.

Getting pulled over is far from a big deal. You’ll throw away some money, and your parents will get onto you; however, if you’re wise, you’ll treat it like the learning experience it is.It happened to me. It’ll happen to you. Just never forget what you learn from it.  

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Traffic Tickets: I Survived”

1. molly agnew on October 7th, 2017 9:47 am

This article is good to inform future drivers on how not to go over the speed limit. I like how he used his own situation in this article. the moral of this story is if you get pulled over then there are consequences.

[Reply]

2. Emily Gibbons on October 10th, 2017 10:03 pm

This article is really great because so for new Freshmen students so they know how the school works and how these tips help them. Another greta tip is to go the second half of lunch. Finally. turn your assignments in on time.

[Reply]

3. Emily Gibbons on October 10th, 2017 11:06 pm

I found this article really useful. I’m not a driver yet, and I found this article helpful by helping me not to get a ticket while speeding on the road. I learned that traffic school is really helpful for beginners and experienced drivers. I also learned that traffic tickets are very expensive especially when teens don’t have money.

[Reply]

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Satire

School To Provide Rolly Chairs for All Students

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Knight Watch

JPII Faculty Focus: Mrs. Smith (video)

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Knight Life

Patrice Wilson’s Wild Ride: A Top 5

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Knight Life

Annabelle’s Alley: Marteen Spices Up the Music Scene

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

On the Hill

Faculty Focus: Mr. Mauthe

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Sports

Experiencing the Alabama-Tennessee Rivalry

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

On the Hill

Fresh Faces: Ryder Smith

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Top Stories

Picture of the Week: Fall House Games 2017

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Knight Life

Rock Icon, Tom Petty, Dead at 66

• Traffic Tickets: I Survived

Top Stories

Happy Spooktober…

Traffic Tickets: I Survived