Procrastination: An Epidemic

Armin Charkhkar, Writer

According to Dictionary.com, procrastination is “the act or habit of procrastinating, or putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediate attention.” This action is evident among students and lazy people alike, especially at JPII. Many can attest to holding off until the day before an assignment is due and staying up late to finish it. While the obvious solution to procrastination would be just doing your assignments and tasks before it’s too late, there’s more to it than that, which makes procrastination such a problem. Most of the time, a school like JPII can become incredibly stressful, and sometimes you lack motivation to successfully accomplish anything. However, this trail of action can result in the never-ending habit of procrastination, leading to a more miserable educational experience. I can personally attest to times where I have an assignment due at the end of the week, but I prefer to play video games or sleep some more instead because of the stress build-up from the week. This can develop into a nasty habit of putting things off until last minute, which can prove to be a very difficult habit to overcome.

I went on campus to find another student who finds this issue relatable, and that student is Cuinn Owens. Cuinn is currently a junior at Pope. He takes two AP classes and is an active member of the soccer team. When asked about procrastinatio, he replied, “To be honest, it’s became a part of my lifestyle. I typically do what I want and still manage to do my work and get good grades. I choose to be proactive when I need to.” As you can see, some students have merely adapted to procrastination and have made it part of their lifestyle.

A Spokesman article presents the statistics from a 2017 study, concluding that over 85% of high school students admit to procrastinating, which greatly exceeds a minuscule 30% in the 70s. Needless to say, new generations have brought along a lazier presence in the educational aspect of life. There are numerous negative side effects that can result from procrastination, which include poor grades, sleep deprivation, stress, anxiety, a poor mood, etc. Being in such a state is not healthy for students, and it can lead to far worse results.

As a member of the struggling community of procrastinating students, I urge that people look to become more proactive in their everyday lives so that we can gradually lessen the cases of procrastination occurring around us. I believe that when I notice myself procrastinating consistently, I feel like I’m at my lowest point and overall do not feel well. I also feel more susceptible to illnesses, since my body is not properly functioning. I must say, a major challenge to overcoming this burden is that it takes serious determination and commitment. It is much easier to fall victim to such a plague rather than to overcome it and stay on top of your actions. It is without debate that people are healthier when not procrastinating. So why not prevent it from ruining your life? To all my fellow students out there, we are in the prime of our lives. Why not get the most out of these years? Have fun! In order to do so, you cannot sit around and do nothing and expect the results to follow with ease. Rewards only come when proper work is put in. That’s why it is important to stay on top of your tasks and schoolwork everyday. You will be rewarded for your responsibility. 

If this evident issue is not contained, it can carry on into our college careers. In college, these habits can become extremely detrimental to our futures, especially when looking for jobs. This all stems back to the basis of staying on top of your actions. Procrastination can form into a spiraling tunnel of chaos. All in all, as a community, we need to collectively prevent procrastination from progressing and causing even more damage. It cannot be passed on to future generations. We must conquer the problem within ourselves and make sure that we all are on the same page before going out and helping others overcome the burden of procrastination.